Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Sea Gull: Skateraw, Firth Of Forth
- HER number: MEL9185
- Site Name: Sea Gull: Skateraw, Firth Of Forth
- Grid Reference: 373000 674999
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Documented loss, 1860
- Description: NT77NW 8055 c. 73 75
N55 58 W2 26
NLO: Dunbar [name: NT 678 790]
Skateraw Harbour [name: NT 737 756].
See also NT67NE 8083-4 and NT77NW 8057.
Dunbar, --- Dec. [recd., 31st per E.T., at 1.12]. The SEA GULL, Lindsay, from Leith to Sunderland, in ballast, the ORIENT, Barlow, from Burghead to Hartlepool, with barley, the JOHN WRIGHT, Owen, from Leven to London, with potatoes, and the FRANCIS (schr.), from Shields to Burnt Island [Burntisland], with coals, are all on shore near this place: crews saved.
Source: The Marine List, LL, No. 14,583, London, Monday December 31 1860.
NMRS, MS/829/72 (no. 10006).
Skaterow [Skateraw] (by Dunbar), 3rd Jan. The SEA GULL (brig), Lindsay, from Leith to Sunderland, which drove on the rocks here 30th Dec., has become a wreck.
Source: The Marine List, LL, No. 14,588, London, Saturday January 5 1861.
NMRS, MS/829/72 (no. 10031).
(1) (Classified as brig: no cargo specified, but date of loss cited as 30 December 1860). Sea Gull: this vessel was wrecked at Skateraw, near Dunbar. Wreck for sale 25 January 1861.
Registration: Montrose. 251 tons register.
(Location of loss cited as N55 58.5 W2 25.0).
I G Whittaker 1998.
The location assigned to this record is essentially tentative.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 August 2005.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. 1998. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters.