X-craft: Aberlady Bay, Firth Of Forth / Midget Submarines, Gullane Sands, Outer Forth Estuary
- HER number: MEL9213
- Site Name: X-craft: Aberlady Bay, Firth Of Forth / Midget Submarines, Gullane Sands, Outer Forth Estuary
- Grid Reference: 345261 681610
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Wreck (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Remains of one of two midget submarines used as targets in May 1946
- Description: (2) This is the site of 'Wreck B' as described by Mrs Fuller-Shapcott, and located by aerial photographs. See MEL2379 for description.
(3) In April 2008, Historic Scotland decided that it was not appropriate to give the x-craft statutory protection as a Scheduled Monument, Listed Building, or Designated Wreck.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. 1998. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters. 224.
- Bibliographic reference: Nautical Archaeology Society. 1995. 'Maritime archaeology in Britain and Ireland 1994', Int J Naut Archaeol Vol. 24 1995, p.219-22.. 219.
- Bibliographic reference: Ridley, G. 1992. Dive Scotland: the northern isles and east coast. 48, no. 1599.
- Bibliographic reference: Baird, B. 1993. Shipwrecks of the Forth: including wrecks from Berwick on Tweed to Stonehaven. 60-2, no. 77. plates p. 61.
- Bibliographic reference: Larn and Larn, R and B. 1998. Shipwreck index of the British Isles: volume 4, Scotland. DA (R) 00/04/1946.
- Article in serial: Borthwick, D. 1970?. 'This Wreck's a Good Paddle!', Sub Aqua Magazine.
- Bibliographic reference: Colledge, J J. 2003. Ships of the Royal Navy: the complete record of all fighting ships of the Royal Navy. 363.
- (2) Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 2002. 2002 East Lothian Aerial Photograph Coverage.
- (3) Unpublished document: Fulton, A. 2008. Wreck of Midget Submarines, Aberlady Bay, East Lothian (NT 4518 8144).