Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Tranent, Edinburgh Road, Bankpark Fire Clay Works
- HER number: MEL9316
- Site Name: Tranent, Edinburgh Road, Bankpark Fire Clay Works
- Grid Reference: 339815 673258
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Pottery and brick works, 1840-1900
- Description: (1) Bankpark Fire Clay Works is shown on the OS 2nd edition map of 1895, and the works covered a considerable area with many buildings.
(2) The following notes accompany the Historic Scotland Listed Building description for Bankpark House:
Bankpark House was built circa 1857 for John Grieve who owned the Bankpark Pyropalite Works, Tranent, and is of considerable interest as a house built entirely of brick from the pottery, in an old-fashioned Georgian style. The pottery was sited to the N of the house, and bricks made there were used to build the house and associated buildings.
Grieve founded the property in the late 1840's and it was in production until the turn of the century. The Name Book of 1849 gives details of the pottery; "it is a large Pottery and Brick Works where large quantities of bricks, flower pots and earthenware are manufactured. Tiles are sometimes made at it, seldom, but only in small quantities.
It is the property of John Grieve of "Preston Lodge". Bankpark House does not appear on the 1st edition OS Map. The 1894 Name Book mentions that "vases and statuary" were also made there; 2 garden statues of standing figures bearing the Bankpark Pottery stamp have been located in a garden formerly belonging to Dr Hay in Edinburgh. The house was sold in the early 20th century to the Wilson family who purchased additional land to the N and lived in the house until the death of Dr Jessie Wilson
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1895. Haddingtonshire. 1:10560.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.