Bci North-east Quarry, East Barns, Dunbar
- HER number: MEL9568
- Site Name: Bci North-east Quarry, East Barns, Dunbar
- Grid Reference: 372010 676169
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Round House (domestic) (Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: One or more roundhouses found during evaluation
- Description: (1) In September and October 2005, AOC Archaeology Group undertook archaeological trial trenching amounting to 84,535m2, in the westernmost 132ha portion of a proposed quarry development at East Barns, Dunbar. The evaluation revealed significant archaeological remains in three discrete areas, all of which will require additional investigative work.
The site of at least one stone-built roundhouse with a paved floor and apparently two building phases was discovered at NT 7201 7617 (NB This grid reference is estimated from the trench location plan in SEL4776. The grid reference in AOC's report is incorrect, and locates the site in a different field). Large piles of stone rubble in adjacent trenches probably mask the ground plan of additional roundhouses.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Gooder and Cook, J and Martin. 2005a. 'Lafarge Cement UK North-East Quarry, Dunbar (Dunbar parish), evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.6, 2005. 51.
- (1) Unpublished document: Cook, M. 2005. Lafarge UK North-East Quarry, Dunbar: Evaluation (Autumn 2005) Data Structure Report.