3 Smeaton Grove, Inveresk, Musselburgh
- HER number: MEL9574
- Site Name: 3 Smeaton Grove, Inveresk, Musselburgh
- Grid Reference: 334944 671509
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Ditch (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Linear Feature
- Summary: Two ditches of possible Roman date, as well as three undated linear features and two pits of unknown date, found during evaluation
- Description: (1) In November 2007, CFA Archaeology Ltd undertook a desk-based assessment and evaluation at 3 Smeaton Grove, Inveresk, Musselburgh in advance of proposed development. Eight evaluation trenches totalling 195m2 (7% of the proposed development area) were excavated. The evaluation found the remains of two ditches of possible Roman date, three undated linear features, two pits of unknown date, and a modern feature. Pottery of Roman date was found in the two ditches and in the topsoil. These ditches may be associated with the nearby Roman field systems.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Hill, I. 2007. 3 Smeaton Grove, Inveresk, Musselburgh: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Evaluation.