- HER number: MEL213
- HER number: MEL9689
- Site Name: Monktonhall Gardens
- Grid Reference: 334060 670783
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Round House (domestic)
- Ridge And Furrow
- Ring Ditch
- Summary: Cropmarks of a round house and rig
- Description: Cropmarks of a round house and rig recorded by RCAHMS from aerial photographs, 12/03/2007, photo no. ML4206.
(1) In January 2009, Headland Archaeology Ltd undertook an evaluation at Old Craighall Junction, Musselburgh on the site of a proposed development. Trial trenches were excavated in fields between the A1 and Musselburgh golf course where cropmark features, including two pit alignments and a circular feature thought to be related to prehistoric settlement, had been previously recorded. The existence and survival of both pit alignments was confirmed. The circular feature was identified as a pit 8 m in diameter backfilled with coal and/or cinder, and is probably related to documented 18th-19th century coal mining in the vicinity. Previously unrecorded features, comprising groups of small pits, were identified in two locations along the crest of the ridge that forms the southern edge of the east field. These features probably represent the fringes of an area of prehistoric settlement activity, related to cropmark features within the area to the south of the site now occupied by the road junction.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Masser, P. 2009. Old Craighall Junction, Musselburgh: Archaeological Evaluation.
- (2) Digital archive: Masser, P. 2009. Old Craighall Junction, Musselburgh: Archaeological Evaluation.