Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Siege Of Haddington
- HER number: MEL9773
- Site Name: Siege Of Haddington
- Grid Reference: 351669 673874
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of the Siege of Haddington, 1548-9
- Description: (1) In the summer of 1548, the English troops built fortifications around Haddington, to use as a military base close to Edinburgh during the Rough Wooing. The Scottish forces, with their French allies, laid siege to Haddington for 19 months. The English were eventually forced to leave because of starvation and plague. The fortifications were then pulled down and little or no trace remains to be seen.
Point on GIS is located approximately within the fortifications. See J Cooper's dissertation for a plan of the possible fort layout.
(3) Between August 2011 and June 2012 a programme of Archaeological Works was carried out by AOC Archaeology Group during ground-breaking works associated with the construction of a new primary school, Haddington Joint Campus. Haddington Joint Campus is located on the site of the now demolished St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School. Although no archaeological remains were previously known on the application site it is located either on or close to the line of the town defences associated with the siege of Haddington of 1548. No trace was found of either siege works or other features relating to the 1548 siege of Haddington.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Cooper, J. 2008. Whitecoats and Rascals: In Search of the Fortifications and Siege Works from the Siege of Haddington 1548 - 1549.
- (2) Digital archive: Cooper, J. 2008. Whitecoats and Rascals: In Search of the Fortifications and Siege Works from the Siege of Haddington 1548 - 1549.
- (3) Unpublished document: Bradley-Lovekin, T. 2012. Haddington Joint Campus: Monitored Topsoil Strip Report.
- (4) Digital archive: Bradley-Lovekin, T. 2012. Haddington Joint Campus: Monitored Topsoil strip report.