Helena: Firth Of Forth
- HER number: MEL9990
- Site Name: Helena: Firth Of Forth
- Grid Reference: 0 0
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Marine Casualty (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Schooner (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Description: NT59NW 8009 unlocated
NLO: North Berwick [name: NT 55 85].
Dunbar, 24th Oct. The HELENA (Holst. schnr.), Peterson, from Methell [Methil] to Kiel, with coal, sunk about 4 miles off N. Berwick this morning: crew saved.
Source: LL, No. 16,393, London, Friday, October 26 1866.
NMRS, MS/829/72 (no. 11085).
(Classified as schooner, with cargo of coal: date of loss cited as 24 October 1866). Helena: this vessel foundered four miles off North Berwick. Capt. Petersen.
(Location of loss cited as N56 9.0 W2 45.0).
I G Whittaker 1998.
The map sheet assigned to this wreck is essentially arbitrary, being derived from the unverified location of loss that is cited by Whittaker.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 February 2009.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. 1998. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters. 211.
- Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, I G. Off Scotland: a comprehensive record of maritime and aviation losses in Scottish waters,. 211.