Long Yester Quarry
- HER number: MEL9996
- Site Name: Long Yester Quarry
- Grid Reference: 354738 665013
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Linear Feature
- Round House (domestic)
- Summary: Curvilinear ditch cropmark, possible roundhouse
- Description: (1) In February 2009, CFA Archaeology Ltd carried out a pre-determination trial trenching evaluation covering 24,422m2 within the proposed extension to Longyester Quarry. Archaeological features were discovered in two of the five areas, and included linear ditches, pits, and the remains of a ring-ditch roundhouse. Some of these features correspond to cropmark features identified from aerial photography while others are new discoveries.
In trenches 18 and 36 a curvilinear cropmark was investigated. The curvilinear ditch was identified, and an area of paving which was aligned with the ditch. This has been interpreted as a possible round house, with the remnants of a paved floor within the round house. Also in trench 36 was a large pit.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: O'Connell, C. 2009. Proposed Quarry Extension at Longyester, East Lothian; Archaeological Evaluation. 9.