Long Yester Quarry
- HER number: MEL9998
- Site Name: Long Yester Quarry
- Grid Reference: 354777 664855
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Round house found during evaluation
- Description: (1) In February 2009, CFA Archaeology Ltd carried out a pre-determination trial trenching evaluation covering 24,422m2 within the proposed extension to Longyester Quarry. Archaeological features were discovered in two of the five areas, and included linear ditches, pits, and the remains of a ring-ditch roundhouse. Some of these features correspond to cropmark features identified from aerial photography while others are new discoveries.
In Area D, within trenches 66 and 74, a group of features was found which were interpreted as elements of a prehistoric round house: The inner ring ditch, structural post-ring made up of 10 postholes, and 8 other postholes that could represent internal architecture. Other similar features were found nearby.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: O'Connell, C. 2009. Proposed Quarry Extension at Longyester, East Lothian; Archaeological Evaluation. 10.