Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
- Object Name: memorial
- Accession Number: 1259
- Date: 1745
- Description: small wood and glass framed display of two mementos or souveniers of Prince Charles - a curl of hair from a wig and a square of red/green/yellow tartan. Text `PART OF COAT & WIG OF PRINCE CHARLES FROM -(illeg)- CASTLE FORFARSHIRE`
This framed display belonged to a family from North Berwick, where they acquired it is not known. Although unsuccessful in his campaign to restore the Stuarts to the throne, 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' remains a romantic figure in Scottish history.
This is a small wood and glass framed display of two mementoes or souvenirs of Prince Charles Edward Stuart - a curl of hair from a wig and a square of red/green/yellow tartan. Text above the mementoes states that they are, 'PART OF COAT & WIG OF PRINCE CHARLES FROM -(illeg.)- CASTLE FORFARSHIRE.'
Prince Edward Charles Stuart landed on the west of Scotland in 1744, with the intention of raising an army and grasping control from the Hanoverian rulers. After some progress, including success at the battle of Prestonpans in 1745, the 'Young Pretender' was defeated at Culloden by an army led by the Duke of Cumberland, in 1746. The young prince lived the rest of his life abroad in exile.
- Related People:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service