Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
- Object Name: sash
- Accession Number: 1341
- Description: green with white stripes on either edge, two gold tassles on end, embroidery in red, white, gold and green with eye, stag, shield, initials `AOF`, globe with banner
The District Chief Ranger was the elected chairman of a group of Foresters Courts. The position generally rotated around the member courts (or lodges) in a district.
This is a green silk ribbon, the ends closed by a stitched braid crown with two gold tassels. There are white stripes on either edge and coloured embroidery on one side depicting heraldry, mottoes and symbols under text DISTRICT CR.
The Ancient Order of Foresters had many separate 'Courts', in many towns and villages. The ethos of the Society was expressed by reference to a mythological fraternity of woodsmen and was reinforced by wearing ceremonial dress and carrying symbolic artefacts.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service