Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- Object Name: photograph
- Accession Number: 1995.418
- Description: copy of an early print of school class, North Berwick Burgh Scholars 1870
Although North Berwick had a population of less than 1000 in 1870, it still had several schools. Several small, private institutions catered to those who could pay; working class scholars attended the Burgh School.
This is a black and white photographic copy of an earlier photograph of a school class, titled NORTH BERWICK BOROUGH (sic) SCHOLARS 1870. It shows a group of 35 children and a male teacher outside a single storey building with a pantile roof.
In the second half of the nineteenth century North Berwick's resident population began to grow. Until 1876 the school was inconveniently located above some shops at the west end of the High Street so a new building was erected at the east end of the town, on a site with room to expand.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service