- Object Name: brick
- Accession Number: 1996.321.32
- Description: Machine made pressed shale[blaes] common brick with frogs top and bottom. Purple red with angled edges, top with text `NCB/P-GRANGE` in capitals. This brick is made from colliery waste - shale, shaley coal and fireclay ground together. Has machine marks; purple `skin`; firing marks.
After Nationalisation in 1947 the adjacent Prestongrange Brickworks was operated by the National Coal Board. The brickworks eventually absorbed the bulk of the colliery's output - even a proportion of the waste was suitable for making bricks.
This brick is made from colliery waste - shale, shaley coal and fireclay ground together; it was stained red in the firing process through poor control of the waste gases generated while the bricks were firing. The lettering in the frog or recess identifies the maker NCB P-GRANGE.
The National Coal Board took over Britain's collieries on Vesting Day, 1 January 1947. It also inherited responsibility for some brickworks, which were often integral parts of collieries. It continued to operate the former until they were transferred to the Scottish Brick Corporation in 1969.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service