Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry officer's tunic
- Object Name: coat
- Accession Number: 1996.437.10
- Date: =1837c
- Description: uniform of red felt, cut high to rear, high collar, `waistcoat` front, long sleeves; black felt cuffs, collar, epaulettes with silver braids in trefoil loops; linked steel rings on epaulettes; 3 x 18 rows buttons, gun metal grey, stamped crown & ....
Yeomanry regiments were part of the British Army throughout the nineteenth century. They were volunteer units and each man had to supply his own uniform and horse. The East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry consisted of a number of district troops with a headquarters at Dunbar.
This is a red felt uniform coat or tunic, trimmed with black cuffs, high collar and epaulettes, all of which are decorated with silver braid. The epaulettes are covered with interlocked steel rings and the front is lined with three rows of buttons, all marked ELYC. The coat is lined and reinforced with leather on the inside.
The East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry was formed in response to Napoleonic invasion scares and was part of the military establishment until 1827, when only the Dunbar Troop served on, unpaid. The regiment was re-embodied in 1846. It served overseas in both World Wars.
- Related People:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service