Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- Object Name: painting
- Accession Number: 1997.6.76
- Date: 1806
- Description: framed & glazed watercolour & ink by Miss Dorothea Nimmo Smith; white painted wood frame, initialed & dated 1948 shows `John Brown`s Manse on the r (edge) with former East UP Church built 1806 on site of JB`s Church, behind n side Market St, Hadd.`
This watercolour painting depicts the United Presbyterian Church of Haddington. It was painted by Dorothea Nimmo Smith, in 1948.
The church in this watercolour painting was built in 1806 on the site formerly occupied by John Brown's Burgher church. The edge of John Brown's former manse can be seen to the right of the painting.
Reverend John Brown was born in Abernethy, Perthshire in 1722. He came to minister to the Burgher congregation in Haddington in 1751; the Burgher's were a splinter Presbyterian group. He was a zealous preacher and published many theological works. The best known of these is his, 'Self Interpreting Bible', which was published in 1778. He died in 1778 and is buried in a churchyard in Haddington.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service