Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Sample * Textile Cloth Swatch
- Production Place: West Mills
- Object Name: sample * textile cloth swatch
- Accession Number: 2000.257.207
- Description: This is a rectangular piece of cloth in a light tan colour. It is unlabeled.
These textile swatches were produced at West Mills in Haddington. The Mills produced a wide variety of woollen cloth and were operated by a number of owners before finally closing in the later part of the 20th century.
This is a rectangular piece of cloth in a light tan colour. It is unlabeled.
Haddington was once a centre of Scotland's wool trade. A significant early industrial venture was launched at the New Mills Cloth Manufactory in 1681 (which lasted to 1711) to be succeeded by other factories in the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service