- Object Name: fire
- Accession Number: 2000.58
- Description: mixed metal electrical radiator, with coiled wire elements interspaced by fireclay surround and three pronged plug, made by Belling and co.
This is an example of an early electrical radiator. It was bought in George Street in Edinburgh by a family who lived in North Berwick.
This is a cast mixed metal electrical radiator, with coiled wire elements interspersed by fireclay surround and three pronged plug. The back of the radiator has two metal plates with, 'BELLING & CO' and 'JAMES GRAY AND SON, GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH', written on them. The operating switch is surrounded by an ornate leaf design.
Electrical radiators were a welcome innovation, as people could heat rooms without lighting open fires. The Belling company was founded in 1912 as a heater company, but later became more famous for its electrical cookers.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service