Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- Object Name: anvil
- Accession Number: 2001.316.1
- Date: 1930
- Description: Anvil, iron. Used in East Linton by a blacksmith.
East Linton has a large agricultural hinterland and these tools belonged to a smith who worked there. Until well into the 20th century local farriers and blacksmiths were employed servicing farms' establishments of horse power and to repair the basic farm technology that was in use (much of which had also been manufactured locally).
This is an assemblage of blacksmith's tools. It comprises an anvil, a hammer with a wooden shaft and splayed head, and a grip or pincers with long handles, one arm of which has been repaired by the insertion of a metal tube over a broken remnant.
The smith was once a key figure in every one of East Lothian's towns and villages and several were still working at the end of the 20th century. Many undertook light engineering work in addition to ordinary smithcraft, but there were still sufficient horses in the rural areas for traditional farrier's skills to be in demand.
- Related People:
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service