- Object Name: banner
- Accession Number: 2001.330
- Date: 1761
- Description: Haddington weaver`s banner; pale blue silk with yellow fringe - faded deep blue and gold?; text: Patrick Gray/ Deacon/ Regii throni artum adornant/pauperi tamen hicest elemosyna/ then a shield with 3 faces holding shuttles? in their mouths, then text
This flag was used for around a century after it was made in 1761. It was flown by Haddington Weaver's Guild when the membership was assembled on public occasions, such as parades marking royal events or other national celebrations. Weavers were one of Haddington's nine 'Incorporated Trades'.
This is a faded blue silk flag with gold fringes lining the flying edges. It has detailed embroidered decoration around a heraldic badge showing three leopards' heads clutching weavers' shuttles in their mouths. PATRICK GRAY, DEACON of 1761 is named with Latin and English texts conveying fraternal messages.
A number of Haddington's trade guilds survived into the 20th century, albeit in a moribund condition. Their original purpose had been superseded by legislation to liberalise burgh trade and the growth of national friendly societies, such as the Ancient Order of Foresters, which supplanted the guilds' pastoral and maintenance functions.
- Related People:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council Museums Service