Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Archaeological Watching Brief And Excavation At Upper Dalhousie Quarry, Midlothian
- HER number: MEL8129
- HER number: EEL1001
- Site Name: Archaeological Watching Brief And Excavation At Upper Dalhousie Quarry, Midlothian
- Grid Reference: 330128 663104
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: CFA Archaeology Ltd
- Description: (1) In May and June 2016, CFA Archaeology undertook a watching brief and subsequent excavation at Upper Dalhousie Quarry, in advance of quarrying operations. Despite truncation from agricultural practices such as ploughing and root vegetable planting, several features were identified in the watching brief area and subsequently excavated. These included: part of a possible rectilinear enclosure ditch; a probable kiln with associated flue, containing vitrified material and burnt grain and nutshell; six fire pits, of which two contained prehistoric pottery and flint; a deposit of burnt ashy material; and, 67 other pit features, some containing evidence for cereal, wild seeds and nutshell. Possibly interpretations suggest that there area was being used for small-scale crop-processing during the prehistoric period.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Spatial Representation Source: CFA Archaeology. 2017. Watching brief and excavations at Upper Dalhousie Quarry, CFA 2016.
- (1) Unpublished document: Sludden, K & MacNeilage, E. 2017. Upper Dalhousie Quarry, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian: Archaeological Works.