Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation At Lasswade Road, Eskbank
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL11602
- HER number: EEL1019
- Site Name: Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation At Lasswade Road, Eskbank
- Grid Reference: 331727 666684
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: AOC Archaeology Group (Scotland)
- Description: (1) In May 2018, AOC undertook a trial trench evaluation on land either side of Lasswade Road, Eskbank, prior to the construction of a residential development. The remains of the Eskbank Roman Camp Complex is recorded to lie within the eastern boundary of the site, although the presence of a large overhead powerline restricted evaluation in this area. Evaluation in the remaining area of the site revealed the presence of a system of agricultural drainage consistent with land improvements undertaken from the 18th century onwards. The drainage system comprised rubble and clay pipe field drains, together with a stone lined and capped culvert.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Spatial Representation Source: Marot, A. 2018. Lasswade Road, Eskbank, Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation.
- Digital archive: Marot, A. 2018. Lasswade Road, Eskbank, Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation.
- (1) Unpublished document: Marot, A. 2018. Lasswade Road, Eskbank, Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation Data Structure Report.