Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Archaeological Evaluation At Seefield Road, Bilston
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL11698
- HER number: MEL11699
- HER number: EEL1043
- Site Name: Archaeological Evaluation At Seefield Road, Bilston
- Grid Reference: 325755 664943
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: AOC Archaeology Group (Scotland)
- Description: (1) In September 2018, AOC undertook an trial trench evaluation in land at Seafield Road, Bilston, in advance of a residential development. Thirty three trenches totalling 1,738.50 linear metres were excavated revealing a sandy loam topsoil overlying a natural of poorly drained glacial clay sands. The evaluation revealed several field drains, one of which cut across the remains of a linear field boundary ditch visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. A second feature, a small isolated sub circular pit was also identified. It is likely that the pit represents activity related to localised post medieval farming practices such as land clearance and managed burning. No other archaeological remains were identified during the course of the works.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Digital archive: Lowther, J. 2018. Seafield Road, Bilston, Midlothian:Archaeological Evaluation.
- (1) Unpublished document: Lowther, J. 2018. Seafield Road, Bilston, Midlothian:Archaeological Evaluation.