Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL10901
- Site Name: Sheriffhall, Newton
- Grid Reference: 332051 667815
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Sub-surface remains of two pits and a ditch
- Description: (1) During February and March, CFA Archaeology undertook a trial trench evaluation in land to the south of Sheriffhall Farm, in advance of construction work associated with the Borders Railway. The remains of two pits, 0.8m wide, and a probable ditch 0.8m wide by 0.2m deep, were identified in Trench 1, sealed by a thick layer of subsoil from which prehistoric pottery was recovered.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Suddaby, I.. 2012. Borders Railway Project: Site 625, Sheriffhall, Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation Data Structure Report.