- HER number: MEL10902
- Site Name: Sheriffhall, Newton
- Grid Reference: 332028 667871
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Trackway (18th Century, Post Medieval)
- Drainage Ditch (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Linear trackway and drainage ditch
- Description: (1) During February and March, CFA Archaeology undertook a trial trench evaluation in land to the south of Sheriffhall Farm, in advance of construction work associated with the Borders Railway. A section of linear trackway was identified in Trench 6, togther with a section of rubble field drain running parrallel with the track. The trackway was visible just under the turf/topsoil as a 2.4m wide spread of small rubble stones. Pieces of 18th- 19th century ceramic and a horseshoe were found on the surface of the trackway. The trackway also appears to follow the same alignment as a linear bank (MEL10898) present to the west of the track.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Suddaby, I.. 2012. Borders Railway Project: Site 625, Sheriffhall, Midlothian: Archaeological Evaluation Data Structure Report.