Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL11029
- Site Name: Ancrielaw, Carrington
- Grid Reference: 326881 658057
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Cistern
- Description: (1) In September 2012, CFA undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey at Cauldhall Moor in advance of a proposed surface mine.
The desk-based work recorded that the 1908 edition of the Ordnance Survey map depicts a cistern )CFA site 20). The field survey recorded a brick-built, concrete capped cistern, built into a slope within a mature Scots pine plantation. The cistern recorded as measuring 2.3m by 1.7m and 0.5m high and is constructed as three stretcher-laid and one header-laid brick courses.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Gray, H. 2013. Cauldhall Moor Surface Mine, Midlothian: Cultural Heritage Assessment. Site 20, Appendix 16.1.