- HER number: MEL11035
- Site Name: Cauldhall, Carrington
- Grid Reference: 328426 657883
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Structure (Post Medieval)
- Field Boundary (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Possible structures and field boundary
- Description: (1) In September 2012, CFA undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey at Cauldhall Moor in advance of a proposed surface mine.
The field survey identified several stone piles (CFA site 24c) running along the base of slope and delimiting the edge of an area of slightly improved pasture. These may mark the remains of an old field boundary pre-dating the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map (1854). Several other piles, (CFA sites 24a, b and d-f) are likely to be the poorly preserved remains of several sub-square structures that may have been associated with the possible field boundary. The features are described as follows:
24a: (328509 657907) the remains of a subsquare drystone walled structure measuring 6m by 5m defined by denuded and tumbled walls measuring 1m wide by 0.4m-0.5m.
24b: (328513 657922) the remains of a very poorly preserved possible structure defined by three areas of stone forming three corners of a sub-square structure measuring at 5m by 2m by 0.2m high.
24c: stone piles measuring between 2m-7m in length by 0.3m-1.4m high, comprising of large to very large sub-angular stones (328529 657937; 328525 657937; 328506 657 898; 328478 657849, 328451 657830 to 328436 657820; 328420 657826; 328406 657831; 328399 657835; 328388 657834 to 328374 657832; 328331 657826).
24d: (328503 657867) the remains of a poorly preserved possible structure defined by an Lshaped length of wall measuring 6.5m by 3m by 1.5m wide and 0.3m high.
24e: (328462 657836) a short length of drystone wall measuring 4m by 1m by 0.2m high.
24f: (328392 657832) the remains of a poorly preserved possible structure defined by an L-shaped
length of wall measuring 4m by 2m by 1m wide and 0.2m high.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Gray, H. 2013. Cauldhall Moor Surface Mine, Midlothian: Cultural Heritage Assessment. Site 24, Appendix 16.1.