Gorebridge Gunpowder Works
- HER number: MEL11613
- Site Name: Gorebridge Gunpowder Works
- Grid Reference: 334228 661209
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Drying House (Post Medieval)
- Revetment (Post Medieval)
- Summary: Walled recess
- Description: (1) This site was recorded in 2018 by Addyman Archaeology as part of a survey at the Gorebridge Gunpowder Works, on behalf of the Gorebridge Community Development Trust.
Addyman record that Anderson et al (1987) first record a possible drying house on historic Ordnance Survey mapping, the remains of which are described as a ruined building within a walled recess. Addyman found the remians of a walled reccess cut into the slope with lots of loose masonry around the back. Unchanged since Connolly 2009 survey.
Condition notes: Large fire pit built in centre, most certainly from masonry from buildings. This is larger than when recorded in Connolly 2009 survey.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones,E & Uglow, N. 2018. Gorebridge Gunpowder Works, Midlothian: Feasibility Study and Conservation Management Plan. Site no. 5.