Gorebridge Gunpowder Works
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL11623
- Site Name: Gorebridge Gunpowder Works
- Grid Reference: 334350 661224
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Drying House
- Description: (1) This site was recorded in 2018 by Addyman Archaeology as part of a survey at the Gorebridge Gunpowder Works, on behalf of the Gorebridge Community Development Trust.
Addyman record that Anderson refers to a building as ‘New Magazine’ in Anderson et al 1987. Addyman descirbe the remains of a building set into a bank, and partly sunk into the ground. It has double walls and two vaulted chambers. The eastern wall has a brick barrel vault over rubble stone walls with tooled facings on the southern side. The western side has a brick groin vault supported at the four corners with rubble stone piers, but the walls below the vault have largely collapsed. Evidence of internal plaster on the hard.
Condition notes: Appears to have collapsed further since Anderson et al survey in 1987; upper arches appear very unstable and considerable tree growth, dangerous to enter. Some bricks in the vaults are hanging, and ready to drop out, which could trigger total failure and
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones,E & Uglow, N. 2018. Gorebridge Gunpowder Works, Midlothian: Feasibility Study and Conservation Management Plan. Site no. 15.