Straiton, Old Pentland, Pentland Oil Works
- HER number: MEL5096
- Site Name: Straiton, Old Pentland, Pentland Oil Works
- Grid Reference: 326700 666249
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Oil Works (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Site of former oil works, 19th century
- Description: NT26NE 100 centred 2670 6625
The site of the former Pentland Oil Works which is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 25-inch map (Edinburghshire, sheet, 1896), to the W of the main A701 public road has now been landscaped and forms part of the Nature Reserve and caravan park.
Information from RCAHMS
NMRS REPORT DATE: 04/04/2000
(2-3) Between May and October of 2012, CFA Archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey as part of work for an EIA for a proposed wind farm at Mount Lothian.
The desk-based work recorded that an oil works (CFA site 91) annotated ‘ Pentland Oil Works’ is depicted and annotated on the Ordnance Survey 2nd, 3rd and 4th Edition maps 1895; 1908; 1915), comprising of a complex of buildings and ponds to the southeast, and a large area of associated disturbed ground/waste dumping to the northwest. The Oil Works are still depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1958 Edition (NT26 NE), with a slightly larger area of waste dumping, and is annotated ‘Works’. The 1974, 1983 and 1992 maps annotate the works as ‘Pre-cast Concrete Works’ and show two areas of waste dumping, one immediately to the north of the public road. The 2002 Ordnance Survey map (Ordnance Survey Digital Data archive) shows only the outline of the former works, annotated ‘Refuse tip’.
The area of the former oil works is visible on modern satellite as an area of disturbed tree-covered ground.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (2) Unpublished document: CFA. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement January 2014: Cultural Heritage chapter 9. site 91, Appendix 9.3.
- (3) Digital archive: Wind Prospect. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement.