Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Newtongrange, Main Street, The Dean Tavern
- HER number: MEL5135
- Site Name: Newtongrange, Main Street, The Dean Tavern
- Grid Reference: 333207 664485
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Public house, 1910
- Description: A 'Goth Tavern' dating from 1910 and designed by A Murray Hardie. It is an example of the 'Gothenburg system' which originated in Sweden in the 1850's, and was introduced to regulate drinking and to reinvest profits in the local community. At the time of survey in 2001, the Dean Tavern continued to have an important role within the village of Newtongrange, despite the cessation of coal mining in the area.
Information from RCAHMS
NMRS REPORT DATE: 04/12/2003 Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1659/30/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: A Murray Hardie, 1910. Public house set back from the Main Street. Gabled wing to right; M-gable wing at right angles to left; flat-roofed addition to front and left. Harled above red brick base; red sandstone dressings; mock timbered gable to front.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2-storey gable section to far right; off-centre replacement door with fanlight; flanking windows with connecting red sandstone tabs. Mock timber studding at 1st floor; 2 mullioned bipartite windows; clock in apex. Later brick, harled and glazed addition to left forms porch to entrance and obscures 4 windows behind. Red Gothic lettering above: 'The Dean Tavern'.
S ELEVATION: advanced flat-roofed bar extends along S elevation; brick base to central section; harled elsewhere; single windows with red sandstone margins and connecting tabs; entrance door to bar. M-gable to main building; Venetian window in each gable apex.
W ELEVATION: partially seen; harled; 2 windows at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: not seen, 1999.
Timber sash and case windows; 6-pane upper lights (some replaced by 1 light); single lower light. Slate roof; rooflights; decorative clay ridge tiles; plain timber bargeboards. Raised ridge air vents. Harled chimney to N elevation.
INTERIOR: recently furnished private bar to S. Old temperance bar at 2nd storey to right, not seen, 1999. Main bar open to roof; 3 ? central arches; keystones; corniced pillars with corbels support roof braces. Timber clad horseshoe bar to S wall. Fixed bench seating to W and N walls. Moulded, corniced and bracketed Venetian window to each S gable apex. Decorative screens to W rooflights; plain rooflights to E. Iron braced roof construction; king posts; angle struts; painted blue with gold edging and gold rivets.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: The original Dean Tavern was converted from 3 terraced houses and opened 20th October 1899. This building was demolished once the new premises behind had been completed in 1910. The Dean Tavern is a successful example of the Gothenburg system which began in Sweden in the 1850's to regulate drinking and to feed the profits back into the local community. Newtongrange continues to benefit from The Dean. Some of the beneficiaries include the bowling green, park, Newtongrange Gala day and bands.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: A Anderson, THE DEAN TAVERN 1986; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1995, p86.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: