Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Salters Road, Dalkeith
- HER number: MEL5196
- Site Name: Salters Road, Dalkeith
- Grid Reference: 334525 668038
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Prehistoric settlement features and post-medieval designed landscape elements found during evaluation
- Description: NT36NW 204 3465 6815
NT 3465 6815 A desk-based assessment followed by trial trenching was undertaken on the site of a proposed community campus. The presence of enclosures, pits or posts, boundaries and ring-ditches, suggested by cropmark evidence, was confirmed. The remains were heavily truncated by ploughing and only the bases of deeply cut features survived. Dating evidence was retrieved in the form of later prehistoric pottery, and a scraper and several flint flakes thought likely to date to the earlier Neolithic. The site is also partially within the estate incorporating Dalkeith Park, an important post-medieval designed landscape. Several features relating to this landscape were recorded.
A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
S Stronach 2000
Previously identified by RCAHMS from aerial photography as "a number of pits and indeterminate cropmarks, possibly geological". The evaluation demonstrated that these features relate to prehistoric settlement and are not geological in origin.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Unpublished document: Stronach, S and Connolly, R. 2000. Results of an archaeological evaluation at the proposed Schools Community Campus, Salters Road, Dalkeith.
- : Duffy and Cook, A and M. 2002. 'Salters Road, Dalkeith, Midlothian (Dalkeith parish), prehistoric settlement', Discovery Excav Scot, Vol. 3, 2002, p. 80. 80.
- Bibliographic reference: Stronach, S. 2000f. 'Salters Road, Dalkeith, Midlothian (Dalkeith parish), evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 1 2000, p.58. 58.