- HER number: MEL5204
- Site Name: Hillend, Farmhouse
- Grid Reference: 325141 666570
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Farmhouse (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Farmhouse, 19th century
- Description: See also NT26NE 150.
NT26NE 157.01 2517 6665 Hillend Cottage
NMRS REPORT DATE: 22/10/2001 Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1368/16/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description:
4-sided courtyard steading, of circa mid-later 18th century date, remodelled and 'improved' at later date, contemporary with the building of new farmhouse, circa 1830-35 in the manner of Burn & Bryce.
STEADIING: single-storey; walls substantially of earlier, 18th century date, of field rubble boulders; quoins and dressings replaced, and alterations and extensions made circa 1830-35 in dressed (droved) ashlar. Slated roofs.
N RANGE: single-storey expanse of early, rubble-built blind wall facing house (N), heightened and extended to road (E) circa 1830's, terminating to E with single-storey and oft addition, with 3 segmental-arched cart arches at ground (2 blocked, that to left with 19th century vertically-boarded doors, arched lintel truncated by later flat lintel), hayloft openings over with boarded shutters; boldly corbelled angle to NW angle; crowstepped gableheads with 'beaked' skews to W & E; tiny loft opening with cill in E gable, weather-vane on block finial over. Rectangular slapping in W gable, off centre, of 19th century date, with modern glazed door.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: asymmetrical openings , forestair off-centre to right, of earlier, 18th century date; to right truncated loft opening, formerly with dormer head breaking through eaves , now re-roofed with felt. Timber stall divisions within. Slated roof with one 19th century cast-iron skylight and several regularly placed modern pipe vents to E; stone ridge.
W RANGE: high ground level; regular window openings to W, with stugged dressings, upper part glazed with 3 fixed panes, lower part with vertically-boarded fixed shutters; slated roof with raised slated roof vent. Asymmetrical openings to courtyard.
E RANGE (TO ROAD): blind walls of symmetrical E ranges, with entrance at centre, flanked by crow-stepped gables of N and S ranges. Range to right (N) open to courtyard, supported on 3 cast-iron columns, slated roof, stone ridge.
S RANGE: circular chimney stalk of hand-made red brick raised to left (W) of former steam-engine house powering former threshing mill, chimney ad double gables of mill building and engine house projecting S at centre of S range (also introduced circa 1830's). Low square-plan ashlar gatepiers, with pyramid caps to N of steading leading to house.
FARM HOUSE (N & S): detached to E of steading. 2-storey, asymetrical, plain Jacobethan style. Long, 4-bay elevation to road (E), with paired gables, door in left-hand gabled bay altered. 3-bay side elevations, entrance at centre to S elevation. Stepped masonry skews to main gables, coped gablet-headed dormers; paired square-pan corniced stacks, circular and spearhead masonry finials.
12-pane timber sash and case glazing pattern. Variety of outshots to rear (W), including flat-roofed addition of 1921.
INTERIOR: stone staircase with patterned cast-iron balustrade; chimney-pieces at ground mostly circa 1900; some original chimney-pieces with cast-iron and tiled grates at 1st floor; deep-coved 1st floor ceilings.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: House built by Sir John Gibson of Pentland, who also built Boghall farmhouse, to the south; the three farm houses were known as "The Pentland Palaces" between 1820-1840. House sub-divided as 2 separate dwellings (main house/ servants quarters) in 1921. Steading under separate ownership.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: Hillend as a site appears on very early maps, including Blaeu's Atlas (1654), but these early references appear to allude to a house to the east, rather than west of the Biggar Road; the farm steading is likely to have been built later, probably mid-later 18th century, appearing, with Boghall and Damhead farms, on later survey maps: by A & M Armstrong, 1773, James Knox, 1812, James Thompson, 1821/22, T Sharp, 1828 etc (NLS Map Library).
Additional information courtesy of the present owners of farmhouse.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: