Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, Dalkeith Station
- HER number: MEL4961
- HER number: MEL5217
- Site Name: Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, Dalkeith Station
- Grid Reference: 332892 667086
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Railway Station (19th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: Site of railway station, 19th century
- Description: NT36NW 211 3296 6714.
This passenger terminus for the North British Railway was used for more than a century, closing in 1942. The site is now occupied by the local bus station.
A J Mullay 1991.
This site, at the S end of the town, is clearly marked as Railway Station on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, sheet 7), and is still visible on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, sheet viiiNE).
The former terminus of the Dalkeith Branch Railway is now overlain by the bus station, which is clearly marked on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 26 July 2001.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 26/07/2001
Station opened 12/7/1847
NMRS REPORT DATE: 08/10/2003
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Mullay, A J. 1991. Rail centres: Edinburgh. 68.