Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, Arniston Branch
- HER number: MEL4961
- HER number: MEL5239
- Site Name: Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, Arniston Branch
- Grid Reference: 333734 662857
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Railway, 19th century
- Description: NT36SW 76 3250 6499 to 3378 6214.
This branch to Arniston began to function on 21 January 1832.
J Thomas 1971.
The railway is seen heading S on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, sheet 13) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1895, sheets viiiSE and xivNE). At NT 3376 6146 is a junction with a branch going up to Arniston Colliery, but by the time the 1st edition map had been produced the line had been taken over by the North British Railway which continued S to the Borders, and therefore it is not possible to trace the original route of the line to the colliery, which would presumably have approached from the N.
The dismantled railway going S is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND), but there is no sign of the branch/route to Arniston.
On the 1st edition map there is a tram road shown heading E from the main route at NT3300 6465 in the Newton Grange area, which leadsto a coal pit at NT 3429 6478. This is still visible on the 2nd edition map, but taking a slightly different route to Bryans Pit and with a connection heading S from Bryans at NT 3398 6478, rejoining the main line in the area of NT 3321 6352, just S of the newly built up village of Newton Grange and associated collieries. On the 1st edition map a tram road leaves the main line at a similar point, NT 3319 6346, heads N and then ESE past Leagerwood Coal Pit, at approximately NT 3366 6351, and a sandstome colliery at NT 3434 6335.
As the line heads S from the junction with the first-mentioned tram road it passes through a cutting and further S, just to the N of the junction with the later spur to Arniston Colliery at NT 3376 6146, it passes through another cutting.
See also: NT36SW 41, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 and 75.
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 22 August 2001.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 22/08/2001
(1) In April 2010, Rathmell Archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and field survey at Redheugh, near Gorebridge, in advance of a possible development. The work recorded the Arniston Branch of the railway (Rathmell S10), and noted that surviving in association with the railway are a number of associated structures, including overbridges and a post-war concrete linesman’s hut which appears to have been linked with the nearby Arniston Colliery.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Thomas, J. 1971. Scotland: the lowlands and borders. 232.
- (1) Unpublished document: Rees, T & Turner, L. 2010. Redheugh, Gorebridge, Midlothian: Archaeological Assessment and Survey. p7, S10.