Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL5383
- Site Name: Campend
- Grid Reference: 331521 668398
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Farm steading and house, early 19th century
- Description: EXTERNAL REFERENCE
Scottish Records Office
RHP 9708 1829 - plan and elevation of cottages
RHP 9714/1-2 1850 - plan and elevation of terraced cottages
RHP 9724 19th c - plan of cattle sheds
NMRS REPORT DATE: 06/10/2003 Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1670/10/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Earlier 19th century. Single storey crowstepped multi-gabled E-plan improvement farm steading. Coursed and random rubble. Dressed sandstone ashlar crowsteps with beaked skewputts, long and short quoins and sills.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 gable ends with modern in-fill between. Central gable with 2-leaf arched timber door, flanking crowstepped gables blind with beaked putts.
NW ELEVATION: gable end to right with large timber sliding door, regularly placed doors to left with roof lights above.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: (facing road): central blind gable with slit light to gablehead; paired blind windows flanking on main building with further bays in-filled to left arm, timber door flanked by shuttered windows on right arm.
SE ELEVATION: blind gable end to left, timber sliding door and timber stable door to right, irregularly placed roof lights above.
Some timber 2-leaf shutters remaining to W elevation, other bays in-filled with rubble. Piended grey slate roof with zinc ridging and Carron lights. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar stack with projecting neck cope and plain can to right on W elevation with piended timber roof ventilator to left.
INTERIOR: in agricultural use, 2001.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: Part of a B-Group with Campend House (listed separately). The steading is a well-preserved example of improvement farm buildings. It is adjacent to Lowe's Fruit Farm. The name Campend is taken from the legendary terminal point of a Roman Fort.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: Laurie, PLAN OF EDINBURGH AND PLACES ADJACENT (1766) showing the site of Campend in use under this name; Ordnance Survey 1st EDITION MAP (1853) showing the development of the steading; George Montgomery, A HISTORY OF NEWTON PARISH (1984) p146.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: