Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL5618
- Site Name: Mount Lothian
- Grid Reference: 327193 656907
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Farmhouse and steading
- Description: (1) Report on state and condition of dwelling house, barn, stable and byre.
1763 GD 18/1411
NMRS REPORT DATE: 08/10/2003
(2) The steading and farmhouse are shown on both the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. This and the documentary reference to 1763 suggests that they date at least in part to the 18th century or earlier.
(3-5) Between May and October of 2012, CFA Archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey as part of work for an EIA for a proposed wind farm at Mount Lothian.
The desk-based work recorded that Pont (1630) and Adair (1682; 1735) annotate 'Mont Lothian', 'Mountlouthian' and 'Mountlothian' at this location. Roy (1747-55) depicts a farmstead with an area of rig and furrow cultivation annotated 'Mount Cloudy'. Laurie's map (1766) annotates a farmstead as 'Mount Louden' and depicts large areas to the south and west of the farm as cultivated ground. Ainslie's Plan of Monkslothian (1796) depicts a farmstead annotated 'Monkslothian Farm' with areas of associated cultivated ground. Knox's map (18160 also annotates a farm as 'Monks Lothian'. These maps all depict a farm adjacent to and associated with St. Mary's Chapel (Scheduled monument no. 6333). The New Statistical Account (1834-45, p.29) notes St. Mary's Chapel as a 'chapelry belonging to Holyrood Abbey', on which the monks 'kept flocks on the pastorage (sic)'. Canmore notes that the chapel was granted to Holyrood in 1240, and remained with the abbey until the reformation, where it passed to the episcopate of Edinburgh in 1635 before the parish of Mount Lothian was annexed to Penicuik in 1638. The land belonging to 'Monkslothian Farm' as shown on Ainslie's Plan of Monkslothian, was presumably formally assoicated with St. Mary's chapel and, by extension, Hollyrood Abbey.
The present Mount Lothian Farm is first depicted in its current location on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map (1854), shown a U-shaped steading set within enclosed garden ground and with five ancillary buildings to the west, south-west and south-one of which is annotated as a threshing mill. A similar layout is shown on the Ordnance Survey 2nd and 3rd Edition maps (1895; 1908/1909). The farmstead is still shown on the Ordnance Survey 4th Edition map (1957) although the U-shaped steading appears to have undergone alterations and only two of the ancillary buildings are still depicted. The cartographic evidence suggests that the farmstead was likely re-built at its present location some time in the late 18th / early 19th century.
The field survey found that some of the 19th century farm buildings are still extant, but are not all upstanding to full height and have modern additions to form their roofs. One large rectangular building may be the former threshing mill.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (3) Unpublished document: CFA. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement January 2014: Cultural Heritage chapter 9. site 3, Appendix 9.1.
- (4) Digital archive: Wind Prospect. 2014. Mount Lothian Wind Farm Environmental Statement.
- (5) Map: Ainslie, J. 1796. Plan of Monkslothian.