Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Melville Castle, Walled Garden, Steading
- HER number: MEL8417
- HER number: MEL5907
- Site Name: Melville Castle, Walled Garden, Steading
- Grid Reference: 330724 666994
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Farm steading, 19th century with earlier elements
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1551/51/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Substantially earlier 19th century, incorporating mid-late 18th century buildings on site. Courtyard plan steading, much altered with 2 ranges remaining.
W RANGE, CARTSHED AND GRANARY: 2 storey with rear wall abutting walled garden. S gable and 1 bay possibly mid-later 18th century; random rubble extended by 4-bays early in 19th century as 2-storey cartshed and granary. Squared and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. 3 cart openings at ground (relieving arches suggest formerly 2) with doors flanking. Doors and windows to loft above. Rubble coped wall with ashlar gatepier abutting NE angle. Window to N gable. Ashlar skews. Grey slates. Ruinous single storey buildings adjoining (rubble and brick) forming N wall of steading.
S RANGE: piend roofed, single 4-bay range, originally open to front, probably built between 1810 and 1831. Ashlar piers suggest built as cartshed; openings, later blocked with rubble, incorporating 2 windows. Adjoining courtyard walls with 2 large ashlar gatepiers to S. Courtyard walled to E (ranges do not survive), built between 1831 and 1841. Single storey lodge sited to W of walled garden, (derelict, 1990). Roughly square on plan, 2-bay N front; tall, piended, slate roof with central stack. Rubble with ashlar margins. Door to N; 12-pane timber sash and case window to right.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: Formerly known as Easter Melville, sited in the SW corner of the Cowpark. Estate plans show a courtyard here from the mid 19th century which changes on each resurveyed plan. The W cartshed and granary range first appears in its present form in 18180, and probably incorporates an earlier building (see 1790 plan); this is reinforced by the masonry of the S bay. The courtyard was expanded again in 1810 and 1831, together with the S range; the N and E ranges of this period have gone. The lodge does not appear on the 1831 Estate Plan by James Hay but is shown on the plan of 1841. This lodge served a N drive through the park to Melville castle, no longer in use. A Group with Melville Castle, Chestnut House, East Lodge, Esk Cottage, Garden Cottage, Garden Farmhouse, Iron Footbridge, Walled Garden and Lodge, North Lodge, South Driveway Bridge, South Lodge, and Willie's Temple.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: Shown on RHP 2088, Surveyor: H Leslie (1764); RHP 2095, Surveyor:
J Wilson (1790); RHP 10598/1, Surveyor: R Drysdale (1810); RHP 10599, Surveyor: J Hay (1831), plans of Melville Estate; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN RIAS GUIDE (1995) p3O.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: