Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Newbattle Abbey, 5 The Stables And Clocktower
- HER number: MEL8356
- HER number: MEL7275
- Site Name: Newbattle Abbey, 5 The Stables And Clocktower
- Grid Reference: 333126 665796
- Civil Parish:
- Description: Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1659/26/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Earlier 19th century wing orientated SW-NE, extended into L-plan coach house and stable complex around courtyard in mid 19th century and altered by David Bryce in 1873 by addition of T-plan coachman's house to SE (1 Riverside Cottage). Stables converted to 2-storey houses (circa 1990). Sandstone rubble to SW elevation of NW-SE wing; snecked in places to No 1. Stugged, squared and coursed sandstone to NE (courtyard) elevation of NW-SE wing including right return of No 1 (sandstone rubble to remainder of No 1). Stugged and tooled sandstone rubble to NW elevation of SW-NE wing; stugged and snecked sandstone to SE (courtyard) elevation of same wing and to NE gable. Clock tower and arched carriage openings in courtyard.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2 cottages to left; long and short droved and stugged dressings to openings; irregular fenestration including 4 gabled dormers breaking eaves, with stone coping; 2 flat roofed dormer windows and 1st floor loft door, now window, above No 2 door. Advanced bay to right; chamfered ashlar window surrounds to 2 ground floor windows; bracketed, moulded stone cornice above; central window at 1st floor with painted lugged surrounds. Gable above; overhanging eaves with decorative timber bargeboard, brackets and pendant. Single bay set back to right; ground floor obscured by garden wall; window at 1st floor; painted lugged surrounds; '18 L 73' (Lothian) datestone with coronet above; gable above; decorative timber bargeboard; bracket and pendant. Bay set further back to right, obscured by garden wall; rubble wall; tall, chamfered, square piers; replacement timber gates.
NW ELEVATION: No 3 Riverside Cottage set back to far right. Modern glazed doors; 4 ground floor windows; 4 breaking eaves gabled dormer windows with stone coping. Single storey, piended extension to No 5.
NE ELEVATION: 3-bays to No 5 Riverside Cottage. 3 regularly positioned ground floor windows; 3 smaller 1st floor windows centred above. 5 recessed arches in courtyard elevation of Nos 1-3; ashlar surrounds and ashlar and stugged voussoirs; band course above. Central door with surrounding coursed ashlar in 3 arches; windows in alternate arches with intersecting stone mullions. Alternate mullioned 4-pane window and 6-pane sash and case window; all with horns and raised long and short ashlar surrounds to 1st floor. Breaking eaves, flat-roofed
dormer window at No 1, to left. Advanced 2 bay gable to left; 2 single windows to ground floor; central mullioned window above. Plaque in apex bearing coronet and initials EWL (Earl William of Lothian) and CAL (Countess Ann of Lothian). Plain timber bargeboard to gable. Bay set back to left, partially seen; 3 dormers; decorative bargeboards and pendants; advanced gabled porch; decorative timber bargeboards and pendant.
SE ELEVATION: NE-SW wing; glazed door to far left; glazed door and tracery window with stone mullions in arch to right; 3 open arches to right form colonnade; doors and glazed panel behind. Raised ashlar and stugged surrounds and voussoirs to arches. Single 1st floor windows centred above arches; raised ashlar surrounds. Advanced clock tower to right; long and short quoins, arched doorway with recessed door; narrow window above at 1st floor. Corbelled 3rd stage; narrow window and clock with hollow chamfered hoodmould in each tower elevation. SE elevation of No 1; ground floor bay window; central mullioned window; single window to returns; 1st floor window to right; 18 L 73 (Lothian) datestone with coronet to apex; gabled wallhead; overhanging eaves; decorative timber bargeboards; brackets; pendant and finial.
Predominantly 12-pane and 6-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Rooflights to rear of Nos 2-5. Modern timber and glazed replacement doors throughout. Slate roof, lead ridge; raised stone coped skews at house joints with bracketed skewputts, broken in places by guttering. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers. UPVC guttering to No 1. Broach, lead louvred spire to clock tower; surmounted by ball finial and weathervane. 2 spiral clay chimney ridge stacks to No 1. Diagonally-set replacement square stacks to Nos 2-4. Piended roof and NW wallhead stack to No 5; wallhead chimney to right return of No 1, NE gable.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1999.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: A-Group with Newbattle Abbey, Newbattle Abbey Policies Fernery, Grotto and Ice House, Lothian Burial Ground, Maiden Bridge, Monkland Wall, North and South Sundials, Port Lodge, Newbattle Road and Abbey Road Wall and Gatepiers, Lamb's Nursery, Archbishop Leighton's House, Old Bridge, Newmills Road, Dalkeith Lodge in Dalkeith Burgh and The King's Gate in Cockpen Parish. Former stables and coach house to Newbattle Abbey. The clock tower was originally water powered; a stream was diverted from the River South Esk. The vaulted brick culvert is visible within the rubble wall adjacent to No 5 Riverside Cottage. 3 carved column bases originating from the Abbey are positioned in the garden. Low stone wall to entrance of shared rear garden; tooled rounded coping stone; pyramidal caps to ends. The wall continues to meet No 5 and at right angles to meet No 1.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN, 1978; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1978; NMRS Archive.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places: