- HER number: MEL8001
- Site Name: Auchencorth
- Grid Reference: 318999 654999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Bronze Age, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Stray find of a Late Bronze Age sword
- Description: NT15NE 16 c.19 55.
An imperfect Late Bronze Age sword, 18 1/4 ins long, from Auchencorth, was purchased by the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) between 25 November 1899 and 14 May 1900 (Accession no. DL 46).
J M Coles 1962; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1900; RCAHMS 1967; RCAHMS 1988
(Ewart Park type - Northern unclassified). Found before 1900, single find. Sword with hilt and tip of blade missing, length 46.2cm, median blade width 3.65cm; shiny green patina, blade corroded on one side; two shoulder rivet holes remain as notches. National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, Edinburgh (DL 46).
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 03/04/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 4 Part 5 1988. 96, no.533.
- Bibliographic reference: Coles, J M. 1962a. 'Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. 85.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 36, no.220.
- Bibliographic reference: PSAS. 1900. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 34 1899-1900, p.15-41,135-38,220-24,256-59,304-6,430-6. 435.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1967a. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Peeblesshire: an inventory of the ancient monuments. 19. pl.4.
- Bibliographic reference: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. 175.