- HER number: MEL8012
- Site Name: Carlops, Spittal
- Grid Reference: 317097 657231
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Temporary Camp (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Description: NT15NE 30 Centred on 1715 5725.
Cropmarks seen in 1984 have been shown by trenching to indicate one or probably two camps. The larger, c.650m NE-SW 260m by (c.16.9ha) appears to pre-date the Roman road (RR 7g) and lies a day's march NE of the camparable camp at Kirk house (NT04NE 47). It occupies a narrow strip between boggy ground and the Pentland Hills; on the lower ground the ditch is c.2.8m wide and c 1m deep; on rocky ground it is slighter. (Information from G S Maxwell).
S S Frere 1986; RCAHMS 1988
Large camp has only one entrance so far identified; titulate and central in NE side. Reducing-ditches visible at each end of the interior may have served to reduce the size to about 12.5 ha in a secondary phase. This is probably the 'Roman excampment' noted by Alexander Gordon near Romanno.
G S Maxwell and D R Wilson 1987.
Aerial reconnaissance (in 1996) has revealed an annexe extending to the NE of the camp, N of the known titulum. It measures about 120m in length by 70m in width.
Information from RCAHMS (RHM) 16 May 1997.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/1999
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Keppie, L J F. 1997. 'Roman Britain in 1996. 1. Sites explored. 2. Scotland', Britannia Vol. 28 1997, p.405-414. 408.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 27, no.110.
- Bibliographic reference: Maxwell and Wilson, G S and D R. 1987. 'Air reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-84', Britannia Vol. 18 1987, p.1-48. 32-3.
- Bibliographic reference: Frere, S S. 1986. 'Roman Britain in 1985. I. Sites explored', Britannia Vol. 17 1986, p.363-427. 371.