- HER number: MEL8040
- Site Name: Leadburn
- Grid Reference: 323600 655399
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Bronze Age, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Stray find of Late Bronze Age sword
- Description: NT25NW 19 c.236 554
The cited location may lie in Penicuik or Newlands parish.
A Late Bronze Age, Ewart Park type, sword from Leadburn (NT 236 554) was purchased for the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1890 (Accession no: DL 42).
RCAHMS 1967; J M Coles 1962; NMAS 1892.
(Cherwell variant of Ewart Park type). Found in or before 1890. Sword with solid butt and large bronze pommel, point missing. Length 63.10cm, terminal width 7.20cm, shoulder width 5.42cm, maximum blade width 4.50cm. Entire surface gently pitted, black patina, scratches evident on the blade.
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 04/04/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 4 Part 5 1988. 103, no. 600.
- Bibliographic reference: Coles, J M. 1962a. 'Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. 85.
- Bibliographic reference: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 148.
- Bibliographic reference: PSAS. 1891. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 25 1890-1, p.6-8, 64-8, 131-4, 163-6, 348-51, 417-21. 6-8, no. 12.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1967a. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Peeblesshire: an inventory of the ancient monuments. 19, No.38.
- Bibliographic reference: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. 175.