Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL8132
- Site Name: 'wallace's Camp'
- Grid Reference: 327589 664659
- Civil Parish:
- Description: NT26SE 4 2759 6466.
"Wallace's Cast or Camp" is a military station situated on the Bilston Burn about a mile from its confluence with the River North Esk. It is in the form of a half moon, defended by a broad deep ditch, 84 yds in diameter.
NT 2759 6466. This feature comprises a semicircular area, 62.0m in diameter, overgrown by trees, and enclosed by a rampart 1.0m high internally and 2.1m high externally. On the W there is a ditch, but only vague traces of one remain on the E. To the N a colliery dump has encroached on to the ditch. The southern half of the semi-circular area falls away steeply to the Bilston Burn, and is undefended by ditch or rampart. No stonework was visible in the rampart. The purpose of this earthwork is unknown, but it was probably defensive; it may have been connected with the Battle of Roslin (NT26SE 1).
Visited by OS (JFC) 7 September 1954
The area of this site is now covered by residue from the nearby colliery and no trace remains.
Visited by OS (SFS) 29 October 1975
NMRS REPORT DATE: 22/03/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 32, No. 167.
- Bibliographic reference: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol.1 (Edinburgh), 332?