Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL8152
- Site Name: Bilston
- Grid Reference: 326139 664269
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Earthwork enclosure (site of)
- Description: NT26SE 58 2614 6427
The remains of a ploughed-down earthwork are visible immediately W of the A701 public road to the S of Castlelaw Crescent, Bilston. Rectangular on plan, with rounded corners, its perimeter comprises a shallow ditch from 8m to 10m broad with an internal bank, although little more than a low scarp survives on the N. Overall the earthwork measures 78m from N to S by 50m transversely, and the interior lies about 0.4m above the level of the surrounding field.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 22/03/2000
(1) In August and September 2018, GUARD Archaeology undertook a trial trench evaluation in advance of a housing development at Seafield Road, Bilston. A 8% evaluation of the total development site was undertaken, particularly targeting the recorded remains of an earthwork enclosure and a cropmark. The evaluation identified no trace of the earthwork enclosure, suggesting that all previous archaeological remains of the site had been ploughed away.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Spatial Representation Source: Henderson, J. 2018. Bilston, Midlothian, Archaeological Evaluation Shapefiles.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 27, No.112.
- (1) Unpublished document: Henderson, J. 2018. Bilston, Midlothian, Archaeological Evaluation Data Structure Report.