- HER number: MEL8175
- Site Name: Fishers' Tryst
- Grid Reference: 324000 661999
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Summary: Stray find of Roman coin
- Description: NT26SW 22 unlocated.
A worn bronze coin of Elagabalus, minted at Rhesaena, Asia Minor, was submitted to the Hunterian Museum by Miss M Ormiston, 122 Saughtonhall Drive, Edinburgh 12. It may have been found in 1953-4 when foundations were being dug for the Fishers' Tryst (NT 2490 6236), and it is now in the possession of Mr Walker at the Fishers' Tryst.
A S Robertson 1963; RCAHMS 1988
This coin is still in Mr Walker's possession. It was given to his son when he was a schoolboy, but its provenance is unknown (Mrs Walker, Fishers Tryst).
Visited by OS (RD) 3 February 1970
NMRS REPORT DATE: 17/08/1999
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 37, No. 229.
- Bibliographic reference: Robertson, A S. 1963. 'Roman coins found in Scotland, 1951-60', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 94 1960-1, p.133-83. 146.