Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL8299
- Site Name: Cranstoun Riddel
- Grid Reference: 338785 666086
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Cropmarks, including barrow
- Description: NT36NE 52 388 661.
Cropmarks 800m N of Oxenfoord Castle reveal what may be a polygonal enclosure measuring about 70m from N to S by 30m transversely within a narrow ditch.
The polygonal enclosure identified previously (RCAHMS 1988) is probably frost wedges recorded as cropmarks on oblique aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 1981, 1994). The barrow is situated on a broad terrace and measures about 4m in diameter within a ditch at least 2m across. An old trackway, running NNE to SSW and pro bably part of a designed landscape, crosses the barrow. Various large pits scattered across the field may relate to tree planting.
Information from RCAHMS (DCC) 12 February 2007
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 30, No.145.