Bonnyrigg, East Polton
- HER number: MEL8371
- Site Name: Bonnyrigg, East Polton
- Grid Reference: 330300 665499
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Findspot (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Late Iron Age, Prehistoric, Roman)
- Description: NT36NW 27 c. 303 655.
A 'first brass' of Hadrian (AD 117-138) was found in the spring of 1918, when trenching a piece of old pasture which was being broken up for allotments, on East Polton farm (NT 303 655). The finder, Mr J Beazer, donated the coin to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS].
G Macdonald 1918; RCAHMS 1988
The exact find spot of this coin was not found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (JLD) 6 September 1954.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 19/04/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1988. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Midlothian (prehistoric to early historic), Midlothian District, Lothian Region. 37, No. 232.
- Bibliographic reference: Macdonald, G. 1918b. 'Roman coins found in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 52 1917-18, p.203-76. 240.