Kirk Hill, Crichton
- HER number: MEL8472
- Site Name: Kirk Hill, Crichton
- Grid Reference: 338905 662545
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Church (Medieval)
- Summary: Site of burial ground, and possible church
- Description: NT36SE 4 3891 6254.
(NT 3891 6254) Kirkaisle (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1966)
On the NW side of Kirk Hill are the remains of an old burial ground, now planted with trees. Several graves have been opened and well-preserved human bones found. A large heap of stones in the centre of the graveyard is locally considered to occupy the site of an old church.
Name Book 1852
Crichton church was useless for many years after the Reformation, and during this period (about 1561 - 1641) a temporary place of worship, called the Kirkaisle, was erected near the road from Turniedykes to Crichton. It appears to have been surrounded by a graveyard.
J Dickson 1911
The graveyard remains as a near-circular enclosure, formed by a denuded stone wall now spread to 1.5m. There is no trace of any building at this site.
Visited by OS (BS) 27 October 1975
NMRS REPORT DATE: 21/02/2000
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Dickson, J. 1911. Crichton past and present: the story of a parish. 57-8.
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.37, 39.