Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Dalhousie Castle, Dalhousie Grange
- HER number: MEL8506
- HER number: MEL8513
- Site Name: Dalhousie Castle, Dalhousie Grange
- Grid Reference: 331832 663951
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: House, c. 1790
- Description: NT36SW 16 3182 6394
NMRS REPORT DATE: 23/02/2000 Historic Scotland Listed Building Ref: 1165/11/-
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Circa 1790. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan Georgian house with later additions and alterations. Coursed, tooled pink sandstone with droved dressings. Base course; raised margins; eaves course; strip quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; architraved doorway to centre bay of ground floor; panelled timber door with 3-pane fanlight; 19th century tripartite window to each flanking bay. Regular fenestration to 1st floor. 19th century single storey wing to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; 19th century wing advanced to ground floor of bay to left (altered in 20th century to form garage); window off-centre to right of 1st floor, window to ground and 1st floors of right return. 3 bays to right recessed; panelled timber door with 3-pane fanlight to bay to right, flanked to left by 2 windows; boarded timber door to basement at outer right reached by stone steps; large window to right of 1st floor, small window to centre.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; canted 3-light window off-centre to left through ground and 1st floors; window to ground floor of flanking bay to left; window to ground and 1st floors of flanking bay to right.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay. Later 20th century conservatory obscuring ground floor; window to centre and right bays of 1st floor; bay to left advanced with window off-centre to right of 1st floor.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey piended slate roof with lead ridges. Shouldered stone and cement faced, coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original cornices, skirting boards, doors and mouldings survive. Buffet recess with moulded surround to dining room.
GATEPIERS: coursed pink sandstone gatepiers with corniced necks and curved caps; modern timber gates.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: Dalhousie Grange was formerly the dower house to Dalhousie Castle (see separate listing), a small gate in the wall opposite the gate provided access to the path to the castle and to a footbridge over the Dalhousie Burn (listed under the Castle's policies). The adjacent cottage was accommodation for various staff, e.g. gardener, chauffeur.
Historic Scotland Listed Building References: SRO, SKETCH OF THE FARM OF DALHOUSIE, (1821), RHP 1373; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p607; NMRS Photographs.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods: