Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL8541
- Site Name: Newbyres Castle
- Grid Reference: 334429 661453
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of tower house, mid 16th century
- Description: NT36SW 7 3443 6145.
(NT 3443 6145) Newbyres Castle (NR) (rems of)
OS 6" map (1967)
(1) Newbyres Castle, a mid-16th century tower, is in an unsound, ruinous condition. On plan, it has been an L-shaped building, a main block 32 1/2' NNE-SSW by 24', with the wing, at the S angle, measuring 15 1/4' by 5'. Only the foundations of the latter remain. The walls of the main block facing N and W are complete to the wall-head, but the others are fragmentary.
Vague foundations of outbuildings may be traced under the turf to N and S of the tower. The site occupied by the tower is roughly triangular, naturally defended by deeply worn water-courses; there appears to have been a courtyard wall.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915
(2) The NE corner of the tower, standing 4.0m high, and an adjacent mound of overgrown rubble are all that remain of Newbyres Castle.
Visited by OS (BS) 28 October 1975.
NMRS REPORT DATE: 21/02/2000
To be demolished, July 1963
Building News 22nd August 1879 - plans and restored views by W F Lyon
NMRS REPORT DATE: 08/10/2003
(3) On 14 March, 2005 a public consultation meeting was held in Gorebridge regarding Newbyres Castle, and proposals to improve the site for public access and make it into a community amenity were agreed.
- For more information contact: MidLothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. vol 3, p.538.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1929. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Tenth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Midlothian and West Lothian. 146, No.185.
- (2) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (3) Unpublished document: Pacey, A. 2005. Newbyres Castle: Report on a Public Consultation, Newbyres Hall, 14 March 2005.